FAVORITE BEEF STEW FAMILY RECIPE:
2 tablespoons olive oil and a pad of butter
2 pounds chuck roast meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound of potatoes, cut as desired into 1/2 pieces, use red or white potatoes or both.
1 cooking onion, cut as desired - or cut 6 green onion CUT in large pieces.
3 or 4 cups beef broth. We use Swanson's.
2 or 3 bay leaves
1 bunch fresh parsley chopped, tops only, no stems.
1/4 cup flour to thicken
Optional (depends on individual taste)
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
*1 teaspoon dried rosemary
*1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (We use ingredients with *)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook until evenly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place beef, potatoes, carrots, onion into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Stir in beef broth, and all optional seasonings, tomato paste, worchestershire, rosemary, paprika, caraway seeds and bay leaves until well combined; season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat in slow cooker for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- After time above is met, in a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup stew broth.
Stir in flour mixture into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve on top of rice or egg noodles with a nice hot Italian or French bread, and a side salad. Rice and egg noodles and all sides are Optional. We enjoy it this way or without the frills..