9 Members have donated this month.
If you enjoy the site. Please consider donating.
Thank you for your support. ~Blue
Welcome to ANSWEROLOGY RELOADED, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community. ~Bluegenel

195,719 total posts

22,935 questions

110,961 answers


463 members

71 Online
10 members and 61 guests online

Hey guys can you help with translation?

+4 votes

I could google but asking here is funnier.

I've got an American snail male pal.so here's the words.

I want to say motorway, what's the American 

Also we enter and exit a motorway from a "ramp" 

Can you help...

Never regret anything because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

asked Jan 9 in Friendship by Glasgowbelle (1,201,100 points)

6 Answers

+1 vote

We leave and enter many highways via a ramp or a side exit entrance road:

A highway ramp (as in exit ramp / off-ramp and entrance ramp / on-ramp) (North American usage) or slip road is a short section of road which allows vehicles to enter or exit a controlled-access highway (freeway or motorway).

answered Jan 9 by Cinders717 (1,886,770 points)

Excellent thanks. There is a story involved but I needed these words lok

Glad to help;) Here is a visual;

Thanks for the visual. So if that was here, the grey car would be taking the next exit on the right. I've got it.xxx

Yep Belle now you've got it:) xo

In Arizona, "slip roads" are called "frontage roads."

+1 vote

what Cinders said

answered Jan 9 by mysticfemale12 (1,245,290 points)
+3 votes

Generally we use freeway.  Unless it is a toll road.  Maybe more generic is highway.  But a highway can be two lanes.  Some parts of the country just call the bigger road the four lane.   On the interstate, almost everyone just calls them exits to get off.  To get on, I think that on ramp does the trick. 

answered Jan 9 by Welloone (485,470 points)

Our motorway are usually three lanes. Zome have more but usually heading into local areas or a split of two motorways. I live in Glasgow that has one section with 10 lanes, all splitting off and over a bridge. It's squeaky bum time and I generally just point and shoot.

You would feel right at home in LA or Houston. Huge freeways, comming and going every which way.  The good new is that traffic in both of those cities is so congested that it never moves very fast and you have lots of time to figure out which lane to be in and to get there.

A friend once said that the trick to changing lanes was to find a guy with a new car and drive towards him.  He will probably move and if not will probably have good insurance.

+2 votes

We call it a Freeway here - on ramp - gets you onto the freeway;  off ramp, leads you off.

Some people just need a high five.

answered Jan 9 by lavender (1,044,210 points)

Sorry, I didn't look at the other answers.

+3 votes

In Chicago, IL, we called them "highways" or "expressways." In Phoenix, AZ we call them "freeways." We call the on/off thingies "ramps" or "entrances" and "exits."

answered Jan 9 by justpassingthru (783,810 points)
+2 votes

as Cinders said, a highway

Time is simply how we live our lives-Craig Sager

answered Jan 10 by curiousguy (378,880 points)
[ contact us ]

[ Points System Ranking ]

[ Points System Awarded ]

[ Terms and Conditions ]

[ Blocking Members ]

[ Embed Video Tutorial ]

[ Embed Picture Tutorial ]

[ Upload Image Tutorial ]

[ Website Stats ]

[ Website Activity (for Mobile Devices) ]

[ Categories ]

[ Posting Anonymous ]

[ Website Guidelines ]

[ Uploading images - Please see FAQ's ]

[ online since 5th October 2015 ]